HomeAbout MeTutorialsMy ArtHome and Garden

7/29/2016

Fill in the Blanks



So the past four months I have been very busy taking care of my Mom with the help of Hospice. I am delighted to say she has improved remarkably, thought her diagnosis remains the same. We are relishing in the good days while we have them.

I have been confined to home as well and have been trying to stay creative.  This past month all of our children and grandchildren were here for most of that time.  Our youngest and her family have relocated to Taipei Taiwan and everyone was home  'celebrating family and saying bon voyage', until next summer.

Whenever our grandchildren are here or we visit them it is always "Oma what is our art project?"

Did I have a surprise for them.

Our trex deck is old and a mess with stains and just "blahness"  I have been looking at it all spring/summer and decided it had to change.


I washed it down, let it dry and then primed it with a Kilz exterior primer.  I then drew some designs on it.


I bought Valspar exterior paint in order to find the bright cheerful colors that replicate the colors in our backyard and around the pool. Each of the grand daughters donned a paint shirt grabbed a brush and picked their designs.


I was so excited to see the colors show up.


I only had to clean up a few spots and added some highlights to a few  designs.


I took  Behr exterior house paint in Black and applied two coats and was so happy with the results.  The black background makes the colors pop and everyone who sees it loves it. It does show dusty foot prints but it is sooooo much nicer than the old deck top I don't mind.

The most special part is that the grandchildren helped to create it and will always feel proud to make Oma and Opa's deck beautiful.



9 comments:

Cindy said...

What a fun project of the grandkids, and something you will always enjoy. The deck turned out beautiful!

Marrianna said...

So beautiful. The deck is delightful and all the color of the furnishings look marvelous. Good news about your mom. Glad to see your post today.
Take care,
Marrianna

Betty said...

What a beautiful idea. I wished we could do it, but our porches are concrete and they have their problems holding paint. My prayers are with you and your family. My Aunt was in hospice and I know a little of what you are going through.

Jeanie said...

Your deck is fabulous! That's very cool.

So glad to hear your mum is doing better. I know what it's like as you look at end days and you will treasure the best of these moments in years to come, knowing you were there for her, to be with her. It's not easy and you have such a lot of my respect.

suziqu's thread works said...

Hello Catie An so lovely that you came to visit my studio and had a peek at my artwork!
Wonderful work her on your verandah with the grandchildren. Hope your mother is doing better and I was amazed to read about your Aunt Irma - what an amazing woman she was and so beautiful and so talented. I do hope your have inherited her longevity genes.
Take care,
Suzy

Debby said...

It looks like a pretty rug. Great idea.

Summer said...

Wow! It is beautiful ♥ Such a fun project ♥

summerdaisy.net

Jeannies Bottle said...

That porch looks fabulous and the kids did a great job with the paintings!

mary ann said...

so so pretty! both your drawing & the kid's painting. looks like a lovely carpet.

hospice is SO SO good. we were thankful for it with our mom. enjoy every second with your dear mom!