HomeAbout MeTutorialsMy ArtHome and Garden

5/07/2013

Around The House and How Make Your Own Chalk Paint

I know many of you have lists of 'to do's inside and outside and I sure do.  Recently I decided to start with the cabinets in my studio.  I scored these at a flea market for $45 and thought it was a great find.
They were originally a very mustardy yellow and they just didn't go in my hot pink studio.
 
 So I grabbed a can of "kilz" and covered the yellow with one coat.
 I had some hot pink outdoor paint for our little clubhouse/workshop(depending on who is in there---the   grand 'kidlets'  or myself)  so threw that in a plastic tub.
                        It was a little intense, so I toned it down with some white acrylic paint.
                                     I then pulled some plaster of paris out of the cupboard.
                                                I threw a cupful into the paint mixture.
 Gave it a good whisking to get the lumps out........ and VOILA   my own 'chalk paint'
                             I applied it to the cabinets and this is what it looks like now!!
 
 I had extra paint and also this little  thing I picked up at the Goodwill for $3.  I knew what I wanted to do so painted it a few coats and here it is now..............
 
I loved the little bottles and knew right away I wanted to turn this into a flower holder and put it on our dining room table.  So here it is with tulips from the garden.  I will be able to put other types of flowers in there from now until winter.
What all are you working  on?
 

2 comments:

Everydaythings said...

wow clever you, this looks awesome!

lynn cockrell said...

Your cabinets look great. So bright and cheery!